Sufjan Stevens Illinois
A 22-track anthematic tone poem to the Prairie State, emphatically answering the question, "Can a songwriter express the spirit of a state he's never called home?" Sufjan weaves various musical styles (jazz, funk, pop) and instrumental textures into a tapestry of persons famous, infamous, and anonymous, and places iconic, obscure, and ghostly. Myths, memories, and incidental anecdotes are swept up with symphonic flourishes. Implementing 25 instruments, played mostly by Sufjan himself, a two-handed horn section, string quartet and small choir, "Illinois" conjures up images of Danny Elfman conducting a Gilbert and Sullivan company, a minimalist ensemble, and the Marion Catholic Marching Band on a windswept prairie football field.
- Disc 1
- 1Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
- 2The Black Hawk War, Or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, Or, We Apologize...
- 3Come On! Feel the Illinoise!" (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition - Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)
- 4John Wayne Gacy Jr.
- 6A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But for Very Good Reasons
- 7Decatur, Or, a Round of Applause for Your Step-mother
- 8One Last 'Whoo-hoo!' for the Pullman
- 10Casimir Pulaski Day
- 11To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament
- 12The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
- 13Prairie Fire That Wanders About
- 14A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
- 15The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
- 16They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!
- 17Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
- 18In This Temple As in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth
- 19Seers Tower
- 20The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier - Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now)
- 21Riffs and Variations On a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
- 22Out of Egypt, Into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals As I Run
Shipping & Returns
Shipping & Returns
Shipping is a Flat €4.99, no matter how many items you order. Orders are generally delivered within 2 working days.
Please Contact Us if you wish to discuss a return and we will help in any way we can.
OMG @ ZHIVAGO
Vinyl Available to Ship Across Ireland or for Click & Collect from:
OMG @ Zhivago - Shop Street - Galway